Boyd’s Tower

Eden, NSW

About the property

Boyd’s Tower 1846, required heritage assessment and a heritage impact statement prior to works being undertaken by NPWS at the historic site. The tower is one of the major relics of Ben Boyd’s short lived foray into developing the whaling industry on NSW’s far south coast.

 
 

History & Tradition

The 23 metre tower constructed of blocks of Pyrmont sandstone, was originally planned as a lighthouse by Benjamin Boyd in 1846. Boyd was a well known entrepreneur who also built nearby Boydtown - with interests in whaling, shipping and owned vast grazing properties on the Monaro and in the Riverina. The tower was designed by Boyd's Whaling Master, Oswald Brierly (who was also an artist, later knighted and appointed as Queen Victoria's Marine Artist) and was situated just above the treacherous Seahorse Shoals.

 

Following the failure of Boyd's financial empire, Boyd's tower was taken over by the Davidson family who used it to spot whales for their whaling operations at Kiah Inlet. During season, the tower was manned daily and when a whale was observed, boat crews were alerted with a gunshot. It was not until 1973 that the area was declared a National Park with Boyd's Tower being added to that Park in 1976. The site is now administered by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.