Tathra Wharf

Bega Valley, NSW

About the property

Tathra Wharf is included on NSW’s State Heritage Register being the only surviving deep sea wharf and cargo shed, dating from the 19th century, on Australia’s east coast. It has been the subject of a conservation management plan and subsequent conservation works carried out for Bega Valley Shire Council by our company.

 
 

History & Tradition

Tathra may mean "beautiful country" or "place of wild cats" in a local aboriginal dialect. The Tathra area was first settled by Europeans in the 1820s and 1830s. A small jetty was built at Tathra in the early 19th century. In 1861-62, a larger wharf was built from funds donated by farmers and the Illawarra Steam Navigation Company. Regular shipping commenced in 1862. The wharf, built on turpentine supports set into solid rock, is now classified by the National Trust.

 

Tathra Wharf is an excellent example of a marine building constructed entirely from hardwood and built in one period. It has consistency in detailing and construction. The structures retain most of their original setting on the headland and can be viewed in the same way as when the wharf was operating. The building and wharf structure demonstrates construction technology from the 1860s through to the 1950s.